Wednesday, September 30, 2009

It's a boy!

Not for me, obviously, as I am not pregnant.  My best friend just had her big u/s today.  I'm so happy for her!  And at the same time, I just found out that a girl I knew from high school lost her baby after delivery.  It is amazing to me how this whole process works.  Why is it so easy for some, while some are subjected to so much suffering?  And then there is me.

I'm kind of in a blah mood today, so I will not ramble on with the "why am I not knocked up" rant.  We haven't been trying that long, really.  I would rather discuss something a little more interesting.  How about Camp Meeting?

I am entirely certain that you are wondering what those two words mean.  Is it camping?  Is it a meeting about camping?  Not exactly, or at all.  Camp Meeting began in my sleepy little town 200+ years ago.  It began as a religious revival, but has evolved into a great week full of family, friends, and TONS of food.  And yes, there are still church services.  Back to the food... fried chicken, grits, ham, green beans, potato salad, pineapple casserole, rice and gravy, pea salad, dinner rolls... and that was just last night!  And good Lord the desserts.  I had just a taste of the pecan pie, but I was torn between that and the chocolate pie, and the brownies, and the red velvet cake.  I'm going to gain twenty pounds this week, I swear. 

You can not truly understand this unless you have been there, or one like it.  I'll try to post pics at some point.  The "camp ground" is a huge circle of 100 tents.  And I do not mean camping tents.  They are wooden structures, most of them two stories.  Very basic.  As odd as this all sounds, it is a lot of fun and it is nice to socialize with our family and all of the other families.  Last night, we were sitting around the fire and J told me that he could not wait until we had children running around playing at the camp ground.  He wants so badly to throw the football with his little boy.  It is very sweet.  And as I watch him watching the kids play, I can't help but be hopeful.

1 comment:

  1. I would love to see pictures of this "camp". sounds cool! (PocketofSunshine)

    ReplyDelete