Tuesday, February 9, 2010

So I guess I am the halftime show afterall

All of my excitement over hitting the 20 week mark faded fast Friday night around 7pm.  What turned out to look like the beginning of a wonderful weekend turned sour when I was struck very suddenly with extreme pain in the left side of my back.

The pain lasted about 3 or 4 minutes and then eased off.  J insisted that I call the on-call doctor.  He said he was pretty sure it had something to do with my kidneys.  The doctor agreed that it was probably my kidneys and said to drink a liter of water immediately, lay down, and call her if I experienced any more pain.

Shortly after our conversation, the pain flared up again.  I was literally writhing around on the floor.  Never in my life have I experienced pain that bad.  J called the doctor back and she told him to bring me in to the hospital.

I was pretty out of it by the time we got there because at this point I had been in excruciating pain for about two hours straight.  In the ER, they had me fill out several forms, which I could barely even read.  I didn't even care.  We only waited in the ER for about 10 minutes before they got my room set up. 

My nurse was wonderful.  She got my IV started and gave me a shot of Demerol and then Phenergan because I felt sick.  The Demerol definitely helped both the pain in my back and my nerves.  The worst part of it all was that I had to have a catheter, so they could get a "clean catch."  Thank God that was only temporary.  She brought in the doppler and the baby's heartrate had dropped into the 120's (it was 157 at my last appointment), but she said the baby was sedated along with me.

I spent the night going back and forth from being passed out and being in pain.  They did a renal ultrasound around 7:30 the next morning.  Past that, it was just a waiting game.  When I finally saw the doctor, she said that I had developed kidney stones and that I could stay in the hospital and wait it out, or they could send me home with Percocet.  I chose home.  The Demerol made me feel drunk- in a very bad way- and even though I knew they wouldn't give me anything that would hurt the baby, I still didn't want it.  They checked the baby's heartrate again before I left and it was back into the 150's.

I stayed home from work yesterday.  The baby had not been moving a lot and I was still really tired, so I took the day for both of us to relax and recoup a little.  However, today is much better.  My back is still sore and I keep having twinges of pain.  I'm not sure that I completely passed everything, but I guess I can't stay home forever- although that would be nice! 

Tomorrow is my big ultrasound!  J and I have to get up super early and make the trek to be at the doctor's office by 8am.  We will not be finding out the sex of the baby, but we are excited to see how he has grown and make sure that our baby is as healthy as he is wiggly!

3 comments:

  1. OMG! How terrible! I'm so sorry you had to go through this, and while pregnant no less. Glad you're feeling better, though.

    And woot for your big u/s! I'm still hoping you find out what it is. I'm thinking boy. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY GOSH!!! I'm so glad you are ok now love. How terrifying. Please keep us updated on how you are doing. I'm praying for you friend. (BIG HUGS)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so scary! I am so happy you are doing better now, and this scare is over. You should come by and say Hi, we miss you!
    (Hugs)

    ReplyDelete