Thursday, January 7, 2010

I haz a baaad puppy

Duke gets very upset when we leave him at home alone, especially after a long weekend when we have spent the majority of our time with him-- better yet, sitting on the couch and allowing him to lounge in our laps.  He has been pitching a fit all week when we left him to go to work.

So I get home last night and he has jumped over his baby gate, pulled trash out of the trash can, and jumped back over the gate*.  Hey, I said he was bad, not stupid.  When I walked through the kitchen door, his ears were flat and he would not even look at me.  Because he KNEW he was baaad and that he was in major trouble.

It just so happens that I was on the phone with my mother when I entered the kitchen.  The mess wasn't awful and was an easy clean, but of course I had to "discipline" him anyway.  He had run into the hall as soon as I let him out, and he crawled back into the kitchen begging for forgiveness**.


It is a little hard to tell, but he is squatted down, moving at a snail's pace.


And as I was scolding him, my mother laughed and said, "If that is your idea of being strict, your kids are going to laugh at you!"  Thanks Mom.  I must admit, I'm a sucker for those puppy dog eyes.  And he is so snuggly and sweet... yep, I'm going to suck at the discipline part of this motherhood thing.  Oh well.

*He stays in the sun room, which is attached to the kitchen.  There is a doorway between the two where we put the baby gate.
**The house was built in the 50's, people... the kitchen is next on the remodel list.

1 comment:

  1. Hurley does the flat ear thing when he does something bad too.

    I think we need some new pictures of Duke! I bet he's growing so fast.

    ReplyDelete