Tuesday, October 27, 2009

And then there was...

Silence?  Not really what I expected from our big announcement.  We had it all planned out perfectly, but what we could not plan for was the reaction (or non-reaction) from our parents.  My brother and his girlfriend came over early, as we needed them to take pictures for us.  My brother, whom I fully expected to respond to the news with a shrug and "cool," showed a wider range of emotion than anyone else.  And he just smiled... and said "cool."

Our parents got to our house around 2:00pm.  I could not contain myself, so I decided that we would go ahead with our surprise.  We had ordered a cake that said "Happy Birthday Grandparents."  We sang and presented them with the cake.  And then there was... silence.  Yep.  That is all.

J's mother finally asked if we were celebrating something else.  I answered yes, and she let out a yelp of excitment, ran over and hugged me.  Then J's father hugged me and said "oh yeah, happy anniversary."  No, no, NO!!!  What is wrong with you people!!???  Then my mother says that she knew, that she could tell in the last week by things that I said.  Whatev.  I think it was a well educated guess.  However, she had picked up a little Mom-to-Be Hallmark angel for me.  Very cute and the one indication that she was excited.  I think it took the wind out of her sails that she wasn't the first to know.  My dad took a few minutes to understand what was going on, but he was excited, too. 

Overall, it did not go as planned, but what ever does?  Our parents are all thrilled beyond belief, even though it took them a few minutes to process the information.  It was a nice afternoon and I felt free to eat all the birthday cake I wanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment