Friday, April 23, 2010

Lesson learned

Remember the post where I talked about all of the things I "can't wait" for?  Well, it turns out that I actually CAN wait.  As in, two days ago I was told there was a possibility my baby could be coming in two weeks.  A minor freakout, along with some bed rest, was involved.

I started having some contractions late Tuesday afternoon, although I wasn't entirely sure that A. that is definitely what they were or B. that it wasn't somewhat normal at this stage.  I went to bed that night a little uncomfortable, but nothing that worried me too much.

Wednesday morning I seemed fine, until I headed to work.  On my hour and a half commute, I started having them again.  I wasn't really counting because I was busy manuevering through traffic, but I knew it wasn't normal.  They slowed down when I got to work, but picked up again shortly thereafter.

At 9:21 I started keeping notes of when I was having them.  9:21, 9:28, 9:35, 9:58, 10:06, 10:13... it was time to call the doctor.  As I figured, they had me come in.  I sat for 20 minutes for a Non-Stress Test, which proved that I was having minor contractions.  The longer I sat still and relaxed, the more they eased up, but I still had five in that 20 minute period.

Oh, and did I mention that my blood pressure was up?  Normally, it runs around 100/60, but this morning it was 122/80.  Not alarmingly high by any means, but still high for me.  The doctor did an internal to see if I was dilated and also did a swab test (fibrosomethingorother).  She said my cervix was still closed, but was irritated... much like the rest of me was at that point.  I kid. 

The results from the swab test would not be in until later that evening, possibly the next morning.  This test would tell whether the sac had started to separate from the uterine wall, or something like that.  Basically, whether or not the baby was in danger of being delivered in the next two weeks.  I was ordered to be on strict bed rest immediately until we had the results.

I will not bore you with the details of my bed rest because it was BO-RING.  Seriously.  Bed rest is not for me, thankyouverymuch.  And if I have to go back on for some reason, or if this kid comes early, he or she will literally be grounded from birth. 

Thankfully, the test was negative! ::big sigh of relief::  Because my blood pressure was still elevated and I was still having a few contractions, I had to stay home yesterday.  Now I'm back at work, and the news isn't all good.  I've been told to keep track of my BP, and luckily my ILs have this nifty leetle machine that will take it for me.  I've taken it a couple of times today and it had gotten pretty high again after getting back to normal yesterday evening.

Keep your fingers crossed that the contractions stay away for a few more weeks... both for Baby J's health and for my sanity.  I'm ready for him or her to be here, but not now.  Besides, what am I going to blog about if I'm sitting on my ass at home all day?  I'm sure y'all don't want recaps of the latest happenings on The Young & The Restless.

No comments:

Post a Comment