Thursday, April 1, 2010

One year ago today, the death knell rang

Yes people, I can talk about something else besides my baby and my dog.  But seriously, my dog is precious, right?

As I was saying, one year ago today I got some incredibly painful news.  I found out I was losing a very good friend.  It was like losing part of my family.  And though I knew that I would survive, in that moment it felt like the world was coming to an end.  This was no April Fool's joke. 


My beloved Guiding Light had been cancelled.  Now before you start rolling your eyes, let me just say that this was an integral part of my family.  My mother and I laughed, cried, joked, and gossiped about all of the happenings in Springfield, as if it were just down the road.

And for us, maybe it was.  Maybe Reva Shayne was somewhere close by raising a little hell.  Maybe Alan Spaulding was smoking his cigar and hatching evil plans, with that twinkle in his eye, in an office building in the next city.  And just maybe the Bauers were sitting in their kitchen planning the next big Bauer BBQ.

Okay, I'm not delusional, not really.  But it was a nice escape from real life.  It was an hour out of my day that I could spend wrapped up in someone else's drama.  It was exciting and yet it was completely calming because it was familiar.  It was a constant in my life from the time I was little until September 18, 2009 when the light went out in Springfield.

Aside from the entertainment, there were lessons to be learned.  Lessons about love, lessons about character, lessons about friendship and family and how they are what you make them.

So today I will mourn the loss of Guiding Light.  And for good measure, I will give a big middle finger and some choice words to those who destroyed it for their own personal gain.  Because I will never be able to share with my child those laughs and tears that can only come from an hour curled up on the couch with a box of tissues, a diet coke, and extended family that visit to divulge their secrets, their pain, and their joy.

"There is a destiny that makes us brothers, none goes his way alone.  All that we send into the lives of others, comes back into our own."  The Guiding Light~ January 25, 1937- September 18, 2009

2 comments:

  1. The way you wrote this post is seriously hilarious.

    I am very sorry for your loss. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cried like I lost a real family. Hell I even cried when Alan died. It was one of the worst days of my life. I had been watching it since I was a kid. I was so upset when I found out it was not gonna be on any more but I had convinced myself it was a joke till it was really not on any more.

    ReplyDelete